Project Page at Digital Ocean, comment or vote for this project.
Use this tool to backup DigitalOcean droplet's via snapshot method, on the fly!
- 08.01.16: now we have to use DO API V2 only, because V1 is not work anymore.
- 17.10.15: now we use DO API V2 by default, due V1 deprecation at 11.2015.
Here are some features:
- Multiple threads out of the box, no matter how many droplets you have.
- Snapshots Auto-Cleanup.
- Auto-Boot Droplet if Snapshot Event fails or encounters a bad connection exception.
- Special binaries for cron and command-line, Homebrew, and standalone installers.
- Mail notifications when a snapshot fails or the maximum number of snapshots is reached for a droplet or droplets.
- Custom mail settings (You can set Pony mail settings).
- Stop mode (automatically stop creating new snapshots when the maximum is reached).
- Timeout option for long requests or uncaught loops. Defaults to 600 seconds, but can be changed.
- Logging into selected directory.
- Verbose mode for research.
- Quiet mode for silence.
Ruby versions 1.9.3 and higher. JRuby 1.7, 220.127.116.11 or later is also supported.
Install it yourself as:
$ gem install do_snapshot
System Wide Install (OSX, *nix):
$ sudo gem install do_snapshot
For OSX users (Homebrew Tap):
$ brew tap merqlove/do-snapshot && brew install do_snapshot $ do_snapshot -V
Standalone with one-liner:
$ wget https://assets.merqlove.ru.s3.amazonaws.com/do_snapshot/do_snapshot.tgz && sudo tar -xzf do_snapshot.tgz /usr/local/lib/ && sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/do_snapshot/bin/do_snapshot /usr/local/bin/do_snapshot
Standalone pack for Unix/Linux users: Download
$ wget https://assets.merqlove.ru.s3.amazonaws.com/do_snapshot/do_snapshot.tgz # if not done. # Example Install into /usr/local $ tar -xzf do_snapshot.tgz /usr/local/ && ln -s /usr/local/do_snapshot/bin/do_snapshot /usr/local/bin/do_snapshot $ do_snapshot help
Standalone Zip pack for others: Download
Mainly it's pretty simple:
$ do_snapshot --only 123456 -k 5 -c -v
Digitalocean API V2 (default):
You'll need to generate an access token in Digital Ocean's control panel at https://cloud.digitalocean.com/settings/applications
$ export DIGITAL_OCEAN_ACCESS_TOKEN="SOMETOKEN"
If you want to set keys without environment, than set it via options when you run do_snapshot:
$ do_snapshot --digital-ocean-access-token YOURLONGTOKEN
- Automate Taking Snapshots of Your DigitalOcean Droplets with DOSnapshot , Tyler Longren
- How to Automate Taking Digital Ocean Droplet Snaphot with DoSnapShot Script, Arun Kumar
keeping only 5 latest snapshots and cleanup older after new one is created. If creation of snapshots failed no one will be deleted. By default we keeping
$ do_snapshot --keep 5 -c
Keep latest 3 from selected droplet:
$ do_snapshot --only 123456 --keep 3
Working with all except droplets:
$ do_snapshot --exclude 123456 123457
Keep latest 5 snapshots, send mail notification instead of creating new one:
$ do_snapshot --keep 10 --stop --mail to:firstname.lastname@example.org
E-mail notifications disabled out of the box. For working mailer you need to set e-mail settings via run options.
--mail to:email@example.com from:firstname.lastname@example.org --smtp address:smtp.gmail.com port:25 user_name:someuser password:somepassword
0 4 * * 7 . /.../.digitalocean_keys && /.../bin/do_snapshot -k 5 -m to:TO from:FROM -t address:HOST user_name:LOGIN password:PASSWORD port:2525 -q -c
Real world example
$ bin/do_snapshot --only 123456 -k 3 -c -m to:TO from:FROM -t address:HOST user_name:LOGIN password:PASSWORD port:2525 -v Checking DigitalOcean Id's. Start performing operations Setting DigitalOcean Id's. Loading list of DigitalOcean droplets Working with list of DigitalOcean droplets Preparing droplet id: 123456 name: mrcr.ru to take snapshot. Shutting down droplet. Start creating snapshot for droplet id: 123456 name: mrcr.ru. Wait until snapshot will be created. Snapshot name: mrcr.ru_2014_07_18 created successfully. Droplet id: 123456 name: mrcr.ru snapshots: 4. For droplet with id: 123456 and name: mrcr.ru the maximum number 3 of snapshots is reached. Cleaning up snapshots for droplet id: 123456 name: mrcr.ru. Snapshot name: mrcr.ru_2014_07_17 delete requested. All operations has been finished. Sending e-mail notification.
> $ do_snapshot c aliases: s, snap, create Options: -p, [--protocol=1] # Select api version. # Default: 2 -o, [--only=123456 123456 123456] # Select some droplets. -e, [--exclude=123456 123456 123456] # Except some droplets. -k, [--keep=5] # How much snapshots you want to keep? # Default: 10 -d, [--delay=5] # Delay between snapshot operation status requests. # Default: 10 [--timeout=250] # Timeout in sec's for events like Power Off or Create Snapshot. # Default: 3600 -m, [--mail=to:email@example.com] # Receive mail if fail or maximum is reached. -t, [--smtp=user_name:firstname.lastname@example.org password:password] # SMTP options. -l, [--log=/Users/someone/.do_snapshot/main.log] # Log file path. By default logging is disabled. -c, [--clean], [--no-clean] # Cleanup snapshots after create. If you have more images than you want to `keep`, older will be deleted. -s, [--stop], [--no-stop] # Stop creating snapshots if maximum is reached. [--stop-by-power], [--no-stop-by-power] # Check if droplet stopped by its power status instead of waiting for event completed state. -v, [--trace], [--no-trace] # Verbose mode. -q, [--quiet], [--no-quiet] # Quiet mode. If don't need any messages in console. [--digital-ocean-access-token=YOURLONGAPITOKEN] # DIGITAL_OCEAN_ACCESS_TOKEN. if you can't use environment. [--digital-ocean-client-id=YOURLONGAPICLIENTID] # DIGITAL_OCEAN_CLIENT_ID. if you can't use environment. [--digital-ocean-api-key=YOURLONGAPIKEY] # DIGITAL_OCEAN_API_KEY. if you can't use environment. Description: `do_snapshot` able to create and cleanup snapshots on your droplets. You can optionally specify parameters to select or exclude some droplets.
You can ask, "Why you made this tool?"
- First. I needed stable tool, which can provide for me automatic Snapshot feature for all of my Droplets via Cron planner.
- I don't want to think how much snapshots for each droplet i have.
- I don't wont to sleep when my droplets Offline!!! And i wanted tool which can BOOT back droplets, which failed to snapshot.
- Also i want to understand what's going on if there some error. Mail is my choice. But logs also good.
- And ... sure ;) We want to do it fast as rocket! :)
- more more more...
- So this tool can save a lot of time for people.
- Fork it ( https://github.com/merqlove/do_snapshot/fork )
- Create your feature branch (
git checkout -b my-new-feature)
- Commit your changes (
git commit -am 'Add some feature')
- Push to the branch (
git push origin my-new-feature)
- Create a new Pull Request
$ rake spec
Copyright (c) 2015 Alexander Merkulov